Saturday, May 21, 2011

Becoming Like God

When we look at sport or academic achievements they can often be based on our ability rated against the ability of others: Can I run faster, lift more weight, learn spelling better, etc. So we can often tend to suppose that if we are about equal (or particularly better) with others in things all is well enough.

Yet suppose we were to look at carpentry that way for a moment. I decide I want to be a carpenter and build a house. If my carpentry skills are equal to those around me what kind of house would I build: How safe would it be? I wouldn't like to have my family living in it! Nor would I if my next door neighbors built it. So why would I judge my carpentry abilities by others? It has to be a question of ability to do the job.

The church could be likened to a carpentry training center. But what if those teaching and those learning only went so far in their education and refused to go further? The church is geared to only teach basic skills. The further learning must be obtained from the professionals (Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost).

In this carpentry idea I would need to do studies on safe building methods, and many hours of application of the principles learnt. I would have to start with smaller objects and work my way up through doing smaller buildings etc.

So do we become like God by doing church callings and listening to "the prophet?"

Certainly all callings should assist us in learning to feel and see the importance and beauty of service to others. And listening to nice people and reading the Scriptures are great ideas. But to know how we are going in our quest to become a God requires a more relevant test than this. And to get the skills requires greater studies.

"And the Lord said, If you had faith as a grain of mustard seed, you might say to this sycamine tree, Be plucked up by the root, and be planted in the sea; and it should obey you." Luke 17:6

Have you done that lately? Commanded a tree to be plucked up and planted somewhere else? If we are to control planets then we must apply principles that will make us able to do so.

Now I know some will say that this isn't to be taken literally, but that you have to ask God, and he will do it. Yes, I was brought up believing that too. Then one day I read it without man's indoctrinated interpretation. It says, "obey you." Not, "obey God." God doesn't need to improve his faith to move a tree. Nor does he need us to improve our faith so that he can move a tree. We do. To become like a carpenter we must practice carpentry where required.

I'm not suggesting you go out and try to move trees as an exercise. It has to be done with the right heart. Love is a good motivator. But many opportunities are available for you to develop this ability. Healing others is a good starting area. Blessings to children when injured or hitting their heads is good.

Let's look at the story of Peter walking on water _

"And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be you, bid me come to you on the water. And he said, Come. And when Peter came down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched out his hand, and caught him, and said to him, O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" Matthew 14:28-31

So it was Peter's faith, and then lack of it, that made it possible for Peter to walk on the water. If it were really Jesus that was holding him up then he wouldn't have begun to sink, as Jesus' faith was constant.

In the Book of Abraham we read _

"And the Gods watched those things which they had ordered until they obeyed." Abraham 4:18

Why did it take time for them to obey? Because we were learning. So we took time to get it done. If God himself had done the job it wouldn't have taken 6 days. He could have had it done in next to no time.

The real test, then, of how close we are to our objective is how well we can control objects for such things as healing. Also how much time we have spent in personal two-way learning communication with our Heavenly Father. Of course this will also be demonstrated in the love we would feel in our hearts for others.

2 comments:

yeti said...

what do you think is the ultimate ggood in becoming like God? have you used your faith to produce such miracles?

Doug Towers said...

I'm not the only one who has come up with a new picture, I see.

This first question has a very wide answer. So I'll try to just keep to the more obvious reasons, and generalize.

The eternities are full of intelligences waiting for the opportunity we now enjoy: having received a spirit matter body, and now a physical matter body. These actions increase the individual's intelligence and happiness levels through new awareness. So we can spend an eternity in service of others. This gives anyone doing it (including Heavenly Father) a great sense of self-worth. It fills a person full of love. It is the most wonderful work you could ever desire to do.

I have used my faith and seen the things stated to be true. We do have the power within us to move matter when correctly motivated. I haven't needed to move a mountain or tree. But the principles are the same. And I know that on several occasions I have felt enormous power in me when feeling love for someone exceptionally special. I know that on those occasions I could have shifted far more than a mountain (as Christ implied).